August 8, 2010

Plaque Buster Biscuits

I make these cookies for my furry monsters and they love them! This is a very hard biscuit with a crunchy texture that helps scrape plaque and build-up off their teeth. It is made with very healthy ingredients and is good for any dog. It's really quite a simple recipe, although depending on where you buy your ingredients, it can be expensive. (I recommend Nutters or any other natural bulk food store) Because it was so easy and fun to do, I thought I'd share my recipe!

3/4 cup powdered skim milk
1/2 cup stone ground cornmeal
1/4 cup bulgar wheat
2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
1 egg, beaten
Optional Additions: Shredded cheese & Bacon bits

1. In a mixing bowl, combine powdered skim milk, cornmeal, bulgar wheat and flour. Set aside.

2. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve bouillon cube in boiling water. Add rolled oats and let stand about five minutes. Stir in beaten egg.

3. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients from your first bowl, half a cup at a time, until well blended. The last few cupfuls, blend with your hands. (I wear gloves, because its pretty sticky)

4. Divide dough into two or three balls so it is easy to work with.

5. Knead each dough ball on a floured surface, about three or four minutes.

6. Using a rolling pin, flatten the dough down between 1/4" to 1/2" thickness.

7. Slice into squares (or use cute cookie cutters like me) and place on a baking sheet lined with foil.

8 Bake 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the thickness of your biscuit. Let cool several hours on the cookie sheet in the oven, or on a baking rack overnight.

9. Store at room temperature in a container with a loose-fitting lid.


PS: I usually refrain from adding too much cheese as it gives my dogs wicked gas. The bacon bits seem to be fine though, and they add the "treat" element to the cookie. I also make two sizes, one for our pup Whiksey (the heart shaped ones) and one for our older dog, Trigger. (The bone shaped ones). Although I'm not sure it matters as Whiskey just swallows his whole anyway...

Have a look!


No comments:

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers