March 21, 2010

Sunday Night Suppers

Starting not too long ago, Nick and I decided that on Sunday afternoons we would go to the grocery store, pick something at random and cook it for supper. We decided we would try things we've never tried before, and cook mostly everything from scratch. I had been trying unsuccessfully in my own little world to cook creative things, but never managed to succeed. Just before we moved out of the apartment I cooked a pan of lasagna that a small army could have feasted on. I thought it edible, but Nick disagreed. We didnt even eat the pieces we had dished out for ourselves, and the rest went in the garbage. I quit getting creative for a while until we were all settled in the new house, when I got it in my head that we should try out our new panini press. Bad idea. I've never had a more horrible sandwich in my life. So, from there, Nick suggested the Sunday night suppers, and kinda took charge. I cant quite remember, but I think the first thing we (he) tried was pork chops of some kind, and they were awesome. The following week Nick cooked again and we had Darlene over and pigged out on barbequed pork ribs...

The following week we had steak (cooked by Nick)...

And this week I decided to take charge. I went and bought all the fresh ingredients for cesar salad, garlic toast, and chicken fettucinni. Boy was that a bad idea.




Looks good right? WRONG. I would have rather eaten my own shoe. If you asked a blind man, my 'homecooked meal' would have been described as tasting similar to chalkboard chalk shredded onto pasta with sandpaper. Yum. The cesar salad wasnt great, and the garlic toast was soggy. So, yet again, another fail for moi. I think I'll continue to let Nick man the barbeque for a while now, and i'll simply stick to the things I know I won't screw up Monday thru Saturday.

No comments:

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers