October 6, 2010

For My Mom...

A couple weeks ago my mom and I went for an appreciation supper after volunteering for the Swift Current Ag & Ex. Everything was fine and dandy until she dropped me off afterwards and spoke the phrase I fear most..."oh wait, I bought something for you!"

Growing up, I hated yard work. Never once did I have to mow the lawn (for which I am grateful) but I did however, have to take on the hellish task of raking leaves a couple times a year. If I procrastinated, my mom would deal with it, but never give in, and I most often ended up raking rotten leaves after an early spring rainfall or an early winter frost. It might not have been so bad if we just had to rake the leaves and discard them, but no....my mom insisted on jamming every last leaf into those heinous orange Halloween bags, just so they could sit on the front lawn for display, most years for at least a whole month after Halloween had passed.

Lucky for me, that is exactly what my mom had splurged on when she told me she had bought me something as I exited her vehicle after our appreciation supper. Great. Just what I wanted. I tried to convince her to keep them, telling her all sorts of excuses including reasons like "No mom, really, its fine....Nick probably wont let me put them on the lawn anyway..." and "Oh, shoot...I already bought some, I guess you can just keep them". In the end she insisted I take them....and fill them...and put them on the lawn. Now, Lord knows my mother must have lost her marbles because she believes the only way in the world to have kids come to your door asking for candy is to have the ugly ass bags of rotting tree matter on your lawn to draw them in. Much to my dismay, Nick was delighted to fill the stupid bags, and they now reside on our front lawn for everyone to see.

For you, Mom...

No comments:

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers